Friday, February 15, 2013

Rainbow Cube Beads

I haven't had as much time to work on bead projects as I would like lately. Sadly, I have been sick and it has cut into my free time and energy level. I have also been spending a lot of time traveling to see family, which has been very nice. But time to work on beading has definitely been stretched thin.

On top of all of that I'm kind of broke right now. I have missed work from being sick and I have been spending extra gas money to travel. The winter months here in Ohio are always a bit leaner for me anyway. Needless to say the beading coffers are running dry this month. To work around this problem I have been trying to come up with ways to use up the old beads I already have. I made a few sample swatches this week and I tried a few new techniques. Unfortunately, nothing turned out to be a hit for me. But at least I attempted to do something.
 
Sample piece of green cube bead bracelet
Striped Rainbow Cuff Bracelet
I had some frosted rainbow cube beads in size 4mm that I intended to use to make a peyote cuff bracelet. I made a green one for my mom last week which turned out very pretty. Here is a sample to the left. I must have been on a serious rainbow color kick lately since I just got finished with another rainbow striped cuff bracelet with delica seed beads last week. I tried a swatch of peyote with the rainbow cube beads and I just wasn't happy with the result. Too bad, because the beads looked so pretty in the tube. So now the question is what do I do with them?

Swatch of herringbone stitch with 4mm cube beads
I have been wanting to try out herringbone stitch so I worked a sample of it with the same cube beads. I do love the way the cube beads stacked together so neatly. Yet, the color combo just didn't thrill me. I think I will give the cube beads a rest and come back to it later. Maybe I will come up with something to do with them in the mean time.

Not sure what to do with these...
My next attempt is going to be learning how to do bead netting. I have some size 11 round seed beads in a pale transparent pink and a transparent lavender. I got them months ago with the intention of doing a netted bracelet but I was too busy with other projects and never got around to it. Well now will be the perfect time. I hope this turns out better than the last project!

Hopefully I will be back next week with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment