Thursday, February 21, 2013

Brick Stitch

Brick stitch is a fantastic way to use up some of your slightly irregular shaped beads. I'm so glad I have discovered this great beadweaving technique.

Wonky looking first attempts at peyote stitch
Bead fabric made with size 11 delica beads
The first stitch I really got into was peyote. At first, I was disappointed with my attempts at peyote. The edges of my bracelets were uneven and wonky looking. I wanted my projects to look like the beautiful, perfectly rectangular flat cuff bracelets I saw online. I wondered how others were getting such perfectly symmetrical results. That's when I found out about delica seed beads. They are very uniform in size and they are cylindrical in shape instead of round. When you stitch them together the beads line up uniformly. I love they way they click together tightly in peyote stitch to form a beautiful piece of bead fabric.

But now what do I do with all those other irregular shaped round beads I have laying around. There must be something I can do with them.

Besides, as much as I love stitching up peyote cuff bracelets I need a change of pace once in a while to keep the creative inspiration flowing. Not to mention size 11 delica seed beads are teeny tiny and it takes quite a while to complete an entire bracelet with them. I would also like to try some quicker projects with larger beads for variety.

First attempt at brick stitch. My beads were too varied in size.
Enter brick stitch! I tried it once before a few months ago and I really liked it. It was simple and fun to do. The results didn't turn out great because the beads I used were much too varied in size. This produced an uneven, wavy look that I didn't like. (yes I am a bit obsessed about my jewelry being straight and even looking) Well second time is a charm in this case. I used size 6/0 seed beads in a brown and neutral mix and I love the way it is looking.
Brick stitch win!

Now I have to order some more beads to finish it because I ran out halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment